Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Flexi Paste Jelly Lace

Try saying that three times fast - what a mouthful LOL. I have had a tub of flexi paste sitting around for a while, and a couple of weekends ago I went along to a demo at Cake Decorating Solutions when they opened their store at Northmead. I was really excited to see the flexi paste in action, and after seeing some photos of their jelly lace, I decided it was time to give it a go and get reviewing for you all.

So here is a link to the recipe I used for the Jelly Lace.

Once you have it mixed up, this is what it will look like. It is a bit runnier than jam, and the idea is that you want to scrape it into your mould so that it fills only the mould and no excess around the sides. I used disco sparkles in the mould  first and then added the jelly lace over the top. My little palette knife was perfect for scraping off the excess.
 
I tried two different moulds and both were as effective as each other - just the drying times needed adjusting. The beauty of this mixture is that you can leave it overnight or even a couple of days in the mat and its still easy to remove. Then you simply store them in a zip lock bag until you want to use them. It really is best to be patient with this and let them dry in their own time. It will make it super easy for them to just peel out of their moulds with next to no effort.
 
 

Here is a picture of my little doily shaped lace pieces sitting ontop of a cake - that way you can clearly see how it looks against white fondant. I can't wait to try these out on an order, or on Christmas cakes.

 
 
 

My Overall Review:

Rating: 10/10
Positives: Easy to use, instructions are simple and ingredients are commonly found. I also liked that it was another different way to use the flexi paste and can really set your cake apart from others. It is also another great way to use your silicon mats. I think one of the big advantages are that you can make these well in advance and just store them in a zip lock bag until you are ready to use them.
Negatives: Getting the disco sparkles out of your silicon mats later is NOT FUN. Also the downside is probably the drying time. I was possibly a little too keen to see the results, and when I left it it was much better.
Cost: I purchased my flexi paste directly from their website with prices starting from $24.95. It has many different uses and I hope to review them all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment