Friday, October 4, 2013

Number 1 Patchwork cutter by Marion Frost

I purchased this cutter and thought it would be great to use it for a topper on an upcoming first birthday cake I had to make. On the packet, it recommends using it for this purpose so I thought - perfect. I love the shape of it and its a great size so would be the perfect topper. The only problem is that you can't actually have your fondant or gum paste too thick as the cutter actually indents into the icing, so you need to have it pretty thin, which concerned me as it was for a topper and not to be stuck on the sides of the cake.


Here is how it looks if you make it too thick like I did on my first attempt.



So basically I ended up having to do it pretty thin, but fortunately it held up nicely. I ended up printing an edible image to match the birthday boys invitations and overlayed this on the top and glued it down with a little bit of Crisco - but overall I am pretty happy with it.

 

 

 

 

My overall review:

Rating:7.5/10
Positives: Great size and shape, made from plastic so its not going to get bent out of shape in my cake stash. Easy to use and gave a nice clean cut. Reasonably priced
Negatives: You can't have the fondant too thick or you get lines in it. I think this is a pretty big draw back, as it limits what you can use it for - cookies are definitely out for this cutter.
Cost: $6.30 purchased at Dijon Foods in Castle Hill NSW



6 comments:

  1. Great tips and awesome as always, Melanie! Thanks for sharing your blog. I shall visit often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog Melanie, great review on patchwork cutter. Me thinks I'll be here often

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love patchwork cutters designs but yes the depth is very limiting. What you can however do on large pieces like these is emboss the design into the fondant and then cut it out with a craft knife. For the more intricate designs I make the thinner version in collage form then superimpose on a thicker piece of fondant and cut just the outline.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why not just cut out 2 then stick 1 on top of the other?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I was using this for a topper, you would find that you would be able to see where I joined them together - otherwise I could have smoothed the edges but it might impact the actual clean cut that this cutter makes. I might give it a try when I have it out again and report back :)

      Delete